Statement on the Government of Ontario’s announcement on the Province’s approach to the federal legalization of cannabis
Cannabis Canada, and the licenced producers of medical cannabis that it represents, share the Province’s commitment to ensuring adult Ontarians have access to safe, regulated cannabis products and support the Government’s decision to make clear its intentions regarding the distribution and retail of recreational cannabis.
Clarity of intention will assist all participants in the market to prepare for the introduction of recreational cannabis in 2018.
We hope that the Province will allow for private retail sales alongside government owned stores. A competitive market model would provide the Province with a predictable, low-risk revenue stream without the taxpayer burdens of upfront capital expenditure exposure and operational risk. With a public-sector role in governance, such a hybrid model still offers best in class safety and security while delivering the advantages of competition to Ontarians: better quality and selection and lower costs, thus minimizing the appeal of the black market – all at no cost to the taxpayer.
Cannabis Canada Association also believes that direct producer to consumer e-commerce can and should co-exist alongside any potential distribution and retail model, and not just as an interim measure. Expanding the successful e-commerce mail-based distribution and retail of medical cannabis by Licensed Producers to include adult-use cannabis is an efficient solution that addresses an immediate logistical problem and supports a smooth and rapid transition to legalized cannabis. Maintaining and growing the capacity of the existing e-commerce mail-order system through Licensed Producers will ensure adequate supply and access for adults in Ontario, regardless of where they live.
In the months to come we look forward to the Government of Ontario consulting with the country’s licensed producers of cannabis on a number of important outstanding issues including:
- Strategies to encourage the migration of current black-market consumers to the legal market,
- Pricing and taxation policies that will eliminate contraband,
- Consumer education, and
- How the Province can best invest in and support the development of the industry and the high-paying jobs it provides to Ontarians.
Since 2013, Canada’s Licensed Producers of Medical Cannabis, large and small, have been effective partners in the establishment of a strict, well-regulated system for the production and distribution of medical cannabis that is the envy of the world.
Licensed producers have proven they can deliver:
- State of the art, sanitary, secure and professionally operated production facilities.
- Consistent, high quality products, fully traceable in the event a recall is needed.
- Products packaged and labelled to protect children and ensure that adults have information to make informed choices.
- A proven distribution and retail system that ensures products reach their intended recipients, with no diversion to the illegal market.
- Production and retail without impact on the surrounding communities, or co-location with alcohol.
About Cannabis Canada Association
Cannabis Canada is the leading organization of Canada’s Licensed Producers of Medical Cannabis under Health Canada’s Access to Cannabis for Medical Purposes Regulations (ACMPR).
The Association’s mission is to act as the national voice for our members in their promotion of industry standards; support the development, growth and integrity of the regulated cannabis industry; and serve as an important resource on issues related to the safe and responsible use of cannabis for medical and non-medical purposes.
Members of Cannabis Canada share a philosophy of both patient-centric care and improved public health, and are committed to product safety and quality, secure and reliable access and the promotion of the safe and healthful use of cannabis.
SOURCE Cannabis Canada Association